Sana Thakkar Week 1: Discovering identities





    Our identity is the summation of our surroundings. From the people we talk to, to the places we live, to the stories we tell, we are the result of our surroundings. In my life, I attribute every redeeming quality to the lessons I have learned from the people around me.  I transform myself into a magnet: attracting bits and pieces of information to form my identity. 

    One day, after I had gotten into an argument with my brother, my dad told me, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it." My magnet was activated. To say I never uttered a reprimanding remark would be an exaggeration, but I always try to hold myself accountable for every one of my disparagements. I find it fascinating how these little phrases and seemingly unimportant moments are able to have an immense contribution on who we are. 

    To this day, Bollywood music and films embody my soul and enhance my emotions to a point I did not think possible. But, due to growing up in an area where my culture had little to no representation, I was not exposed to many aspects of my heritage. My best friend was the one who introduced me to Bollywood, and opened my eyes to this world of culture and color I was able to realize how lost I was in terms of my cultural identity. I soon enrolled in Bollywood dance and Bharatanatyam with my best friend to better understand my culture. Through Bharatanatyam, I learned much of ancient Indian practices and Hindu mythology. I would perform. at events for Diwali, Indian independence day, Navratri, and other Hindu celebrations. Bollywood dancing opened me to a plethora of emotions I now associate with different songs. It felt as if I had discovered a missing piece of my life that grew on to become an immense aspect of my self-identity. 

  In retrospect, it is impossible to sum up our identity into a single discussion. Our brain is "the most complex part of the human body" (National Institute of Health), capable of holding numerous thoughts, feelings, and opinions that are ever-changing yet constant. I myself cannot be summed up as Bollywood and benevolent. As a society, we spend our lives discovering our identity, and still fall short. Every day we learn something new about ourselves, helping us to grow as people, and as a society.


Brain Basics: Know Your Brain

Bollywood Image

Comments

  1. Hi Sana! Your blog is very beautiful and inspiring. The story of your father's advice, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it," is a great example of how even seemingly insignificant events may have a lasting impact and influence the way we behave. It serves as a reminder of the significance of being aware of our words. Your journey for reconnect your cultural identity through Bharatanatyam and Bollywood is incredibly inspiring. I used to perform Bollywood, so I can really relate to your quest to reconnect with yourself into your culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sana! I enjoyed how you connected your exposure to Bollywood with the shaping of your identity. I agree that identity has multiple aspects, but the aspect of how Bollywood helped you better understand your culture is a fascinating revelation to include in your identity. I was also intrigued by your comparison of one's identity to the human brain and how the brain carries many thoughts and beliefs, highlighting the multifaceted nature of human identity. It's also inspiring to learn how Bollywood and Bharatanatyam helped you open up to your culture by evoking emotions through different songs. I would definitely recommend delving deeper into the part where you mention turning into a magnet towards the end of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aarya Patil Week 8 : The Evolution of the American Language

Patrick Chou Week 1: The Attack on Identity With AI

Mahesh - Week 4: An Inevitable Reality