Mahesh - Week 4: An Inevitable Reality

Mahesh - Week 4: An Inevitable Reality

I have read that human existence is the sum of our memories. Memories are the glue that holds us together; every unique identity is determined based on different experiences and memories. In my case, one of my key memories of my childhood was my habit of reading my favorite books at night before I went to sleep. I remember engrossing myself in the fabric of the plot that encompassed the world that my favorite characters lived in. Reading transports me to a different world altogether, causing me to forget my immediate surroundings and responsibilities to relax in an otherworldly setting.

Recently, I took the time to reread some of my favorite books from many years ago—the very same books that I had immersed myself in. The nostalgia I experienced was profound; it was as if I myself were affected by the plot. I then realized that reading stories that are not my own can also impact my memory bank. One might think that reading books meant for young readers cannot change their societal perception; however, simply evaluating the tough moral decisions that characters have to make in these books can challenge a commonly-held belief concerning ethics. 

Books are not the only source of insight that can form individual identities among human beings. I notice that surroundings and environment often have the most meaningful impact when considering human upbringing. In my case, I was born in the United States, but I moved to India for a few years and returned to the United States. I still frequently visit India once a year for many months. This dual aspect of my identity allows me to form different childhood memories than others. I encounter those who claim that English is their first language and that they do not know how to speak their native language. The function of the human memory can lend an explanation for this phenomenon. Surroundings influence the shaping of knowledge; learning a native language and culture follows similarly. Overall, human endeavors are dependent on past experiences and memories that cause us to make individualistic and unique decisions as suggested in this read about the correlation between memory and human decision-making: https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4428655  



Lipoff, Sarah. “Decision Making and Right Brain Left Brain,” fununderstanding.com, 15 April 2011, 

www.funderstanding.com/brain/decision-making-and-right-brain-left-brain/. Accessed 9 October 2023.


Comments

  1. Hi Mahesh! I was able to relate a lot with your experiences on reading books and dreaming. They both have the element of fantasy that is impossible in the real world. Your description of how reading “transports [you] to a different world altogether” reminds me of back in elementary school when I could read for hours after school; back when we weren’t drowning in boatloads of work. I also like how you mentioned that “evaluating the tough moral decisions that characters have to make in these books can challenge a commonly-held belief concerning ethics” to show the important lessons that reading can teach us. It’s amazing to think how both joy and knowledge can come out of reading a good book. Finally, your seamless shift from discussing the experiences coming from books to discussing the memories of humans made the topic applicable to many things beyond entertainment, knowledge, and nostalgia. When you mentioned native languages, I recalled how your first blog was also about speaking different languages. I can see how important languages are to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mahesh! It is interesting how you conveyed the idea that our memories and personal experiences shape our identities such as the books we read to the influence we have from our surroundings. The mentioning of how the decisions that characters make in books can challenge the belief of others reminds me of the book “To Kill a Mockingbird” which encourages readers to empathize those who are discriminated by forcing readers to think back to their ethical values. This is seen from Atticus’s actions in defending Tom Robinson for the accused actions he did. I find that you did really well in specifying how the memories can shape our identity based on personal experiences and those personal experiences can build onto a habit that becomes a part of us. Your blog is structured in a way that smoothly ties back to your personal experiences and the overall idea of your blog. This blog made me feel informed about how the moments we experience shape who we are culturally and morally. When I saw the title “An Inevitable Reality” I was curious to know how it ties into your blog and recommend connecting back to how personal experiences and memories connect to the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mahesh! I found your blog extremely relatable, as I have always said myself, that reading can transport you to another world. When I was younger, I always found comfort in my books because I could put myself in the character's shoes, and not have to worry about my own problems while I was reading. I was overcome with nostalgia as well, for my days back in elementary school when the teachers would give us “Silent Reading Time,” and we could read books of our choice. I thought your connection between reading and its impact on children’s mindsets was effective. I completely agree with the statement you made regarding evaluating “tough moral decisions.” Many of us are typically influenced by the books we read or the shows we watch. Seeing the choices a character makes, and reflecting upon them can really strengthen our social skills, and prompt us to not make wrong decisions. Furthermore, I like how your blog shifts from reading, and gives the readers another outlook on what affects our identities. The transition was clear as it moved from books to social surroundings and environments. The blog was very well written with smooth transitions and key points that were backed up with logical reasoning. Additionally, I liked your personal example about traveling to India, and how that gives you a “dual aspect” to your personality. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mahesh! The very captivating title of your blog instantly made me click on it to read more. Your blog is very relatable and a very thoughtful read. I love how in depth and vivid your writing was. I think it is a really interesting experience to read the books you read in your childhood, as you also get a new perspective and understanding of the novel that you did not when you were younger. In elementary and middle school I would also engage myself in novels for hours at a time, completely absorbed in the plot. However, I have not been getting time ever since high school started but the vivid descriptions in your blog makes me want to start again. It is definitely true on how memories are very important. I really like the way you structured your blog as it is organized and easy to comprehend. Your blog was very clearly written in your own voice which made it much more engaging and captivating to read. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your blog and it gave me new insights to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mahesh! Your article started with a great introduction to the topic of identity by describing the effects of a dream-like state when reading books. I can relate to that exact experience, as many times while reading books I fall into a sort of trance. I also agree that these books, though may not always be meant for my age level, do have an impact on my social, and personal identity. It is very true that the characters in the book are a direct reflection onto which we see ourselves and shape our personality. I found it fantastic that you included native languages, which looking back to your previous article, ties quite nicely. Overall, the article contained logical and thought provoking diction and made the audience, especially me, see the light in books, the choices in life, and our identity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aarya Patil Week 8 : The Evolution of the American Language

Patrick Chou Week 1: The Attack on Identity With AI