Allison Mao Week 6: American Chinese Families

 

This image depicts a tiger looming over a piano as a little girl is trying to play a song. 

Out of context, it might seem like the tiger is trying to eat the girl. In reality, the tiger represents a “tiger mom.” A tiger mom is a mother who endeavors in a “form of strict parenting, whereby parents are highly invested in ensuring their children's success” according to Wikipedia. The tiger mom would demand the little girl to practice piano very often and expect her to become an exceptional piano player. 

In today’s media, there is a lot of talk about stereotypical Asian families compared to stereotypical American families. I vaguely remember watching this YouTube video comparing the reactions of American moms and Asian moms when their children got a B on a test. The American mom was so proud of her child and showered him with praise while the Asian tiger mom was super angry and threatening to beat him. Although my family is Asian, getting berated over grades is not something I am used to. Perhaps it is due to the fact that my mom is not a tiger mom.

I’ve gotten many bad grades over the years. I remember a time when I got a C on a chemistry test, a high seventy. I was very disappointed in myself. As my mom was driving me home, I told her “I got a C on my science test.”

“That’s not bad,” my mom replied. My mom was less disappointed in the score than I was. That made me very thankful that she did not get mad at me. 

My mom also says “Grades are just a measurement” and that they do not define us. I also know some friends that have stricter parents than me when it comes to grades but they also do not care to the extent shown in the YouTube video. 

YouTube is also something people can access worldwide. Many people say they are able to relate to the content of the video, showing that this family dynamic is true at least among some people, as present in families with tiger moms. The presence of the video compared to the experiences of me and my friends show that there any many different ways families react to grades in the United States. The school system even reflects this fact with accelerated and nonaccelerated classes. 

America is truly intriguing. 

link to image

Comments

  1. Hey Allison! I never knew there was a specific term for strict mothers, so I found that to be an interesting and entrancing point in your writing. You added authenticity to your argument by including the definition of a tiger mom and the source from where you found it. Another source you listed was YouTube which was clever in that it is a widely accessible platform where readers can expand on what you discussed through YouTube videos. Often after I have read an intriguing article, I like to conduct more research on the topic, but have trouble knowing where to find additional information. So, I really appreciate how you included a way for the audience to find more individualized information relating to your topic. Another technique that I thought was smart, was including a conversation with your mom. I feel that dialogue always helps communicate an argument better to the audience, as it provides interactive evidence. Overall, I think your topic was really interesting, and I enjoyed the new terminology that I learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison! I was never aware of the term "tiger mom," but given the picture it makes a lot of sense. Personally, my parents, like yours, aren't the strictest, but I have cousins and friends whose parents are extremely tough on them. They have "tiger parents" which is a bit scary. Of course, there's some plus side to it, but it seems very demoralizing to be under that sort of constant pressure. Regardless, the stereotype is harmful and flat out untrue for many families, and you did a great job explaining that in your blog. It's really insightful into the American experience, and it debunks an extremely common stereotype amongst a lot of Americans. The image is also really interesting, and it was a good choice to demonstrate your overall point. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison! This was a very interesting blog to read. I often heard of the term "tiger mom" but did not ever hear of a clear definition to it. Your blog perfectly explains the definition as well as giving out an example. I do recall seeing similar Youtube videos comparing Asian and American families as well as Tiktoks, Instagram reels, and more. I think videos on social media like this often creates negative stereotypes on how Asian families are supposed to be like. I like how you added a personal tone in your blog by adding dialogue from a conversation between you and your mother since it created more depth to your blog. The part where your mother says “grades are just a measurement and that they do not define us" is refreshing to hear as there is a lot of academic pressure on students in recent years which makes kids think their worth is based on their grades. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mahesh - Week 2: A Creative Outlook

Aarya Patil Week 8 : The Evolution of the American Language

Anushka Reddy Week 2: Exploring Model Minority Stereotype on Identity