Mahesh - Week 5: A Broader Outlook

Mahesh - Week 5: A Broader Outlook


    Identity. A word that we frequently encounter in our daily lives, yet we cannot grasp the broad connotation that exists behind this phrase. Specifically, what does it mean to be American? I feel that as an American, I cannot determine the meaning of my identity; I need the advice of others to do so. For instance, earlier today, the French Honor Society at our school welcomed a group of French students who have come to visit the United States. We were responsible for conversing with the French students and welcoming them to the high school. While talking with the students, I learned what American stereotypes they feel are prevalent in French society. 

    The experience of talking to those from a different background and culture than me has provided me with a unique understanding of what it can mean to be American. After listening to the many hilariously articulated stereotypes from the French students, I decided that identity is a simple interpretation of how I can express myself. The more we learn about other cultures, the more interrelationships we can draw between our various values and morals overlapping. Education is the key to overcoming global conflict between organizations and countries. 

    Over some pizza and chips, I had the chance to exchange stories of my educational experiences in the United States and compare my memories to their French education. Cultural differences can bring us together and make us uniquely appreciate each other. As human beings, our memories and experiences make up our identities; therefore, being knowledgeable about multiple cultures and languages helps create a well-informed perspective on global issues. This diverse perspective is a necessity for our modern society as we move forward to make informed decisions as part of our country’s democratic process. With a more educated and well-rounded view of global issues, our country’s voters would be able to make a reasonable decision.

Here is an intriguing read on the blending of cultural values that may be beneficial to learn: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-pursuit-peace/201310/blending-the-best-different-cultures


Source:

Kaiser, Barbara. continued.com, 26 February 2021, https://www.continued.com/early-childhood-education/ask-the-experts/what-is-culture-23709. Accessed 18 October 2023.


Comments

  1. Hey Mahesh! I always find the perception other countries hold about America extremely interesting, so I love that you got to experience that firsthand, and thank you for including an interesting read as well! I love the approach you took to discussing this topic. Instead of talking about the stereotypes depicted in social media, something that can be overly repetitive, you decided to share your real life experiences with foreigners which really elevated your writing. Another thing I enjoyed was how you were able to show how your main claim was connected to the outside world, regarding voting and how it was important to each and every member in your audience. As we are all two to three years, for being able to vote, your input is extremely valuable for this generation and the many to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mahesh, the adjective American is such a broad word and for me it was also hard to write about it in my synthesis essay as well. I would love to experience encountering international students in order to find out what they perceive of the "American Student." I also found it kind of ironic how the conversation happened over pizza chips as those are very iconic and stereotypical foods of America. I also love the inclusion of the article it provides insight on how culture and our origin play a hug role in our identity and in some sense, it is blended in one homogenous mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mahesh! I heard about the French Honors Society event with the international students, and that's so neat that you got to be a part of that. It's really cool that you're able to converse with real French people in French. I'm interested in what kinds of stereotypes French people have of Americans. Did they mention any specific ones? I'm also curious as to how they felt about going to visit a high school literally called "American" High School. I agree with how you said that cultural differences can tie people close together. I think the gap between certain cultures is intriguing for both sides and that helps facilitate conversation. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aarya Patil Week 8 : The Evolution of the American Language

Patrick Chou Week 1: The Attack on Identity With AI

Mahesh - Week 4: An Inevitable Reality