Sana Thakkar Week 5: The Life of an American Girl

 


    My friend is taking AP Physics this year, and she is one of four other girls in her class. When she first told me this news, I was overcome with disbelief that soon transitioned into sheer frustration. 
   
    This is an example of the patriarchal society at its finest. 

  Being born and raised in the U.S., I was conditioned to believe through every message American society was sending me that I could be anything I wanted from a painter to a surgeon; a firefighter to a professional volleyball player. But, I'm assuming more than four girls were interested in the numerous career fields associated with physics. 

  For my ninth birthday, I was gifted an American Girl Doll named Diana, who was a criminal justice lawyer, fighting for the rights of the mistreated population. Growing up in an American society, I believed it was possible. I believed I could be like Diana. However, once I was introduced to the world of STEM classes, I realized I could never have the same opportunities and experiences I had given Diana. Almost all of my experiences in STEM classes consist of at least one scenario where I was a victim of mansplaining or disrespect regarding my capabilities. Another one of my friend's physics chronicles included a lab where she was placed in a group with two other guys. She could have left school, gotten Starbucks, bought a coffee, and come back, without the two guys noticing, neglecting her presence and negating her contributions. 
   
  The discrimination many girls face daily is an excellent example of how the American dream and American beliefs we are taught during childhood faze into the tough truths of American society and their damaging perceptions, watching the lost opportunities I believed I, along with every other citizen, was entitled to. 
    
Image Source















Comments

  1. Hi, Sana! When I first about how their were only fou girls in your friend’s AP physics class, I was very shocked. I know a few friends who are taking physics and I never would have expected there to be so less people in the class. This sort of reminds me of my AP Chinese class last year, where were were two boys compared to around fifteen girls. This makes me wonder what subjects would be considered more “feminine” or “masculine.” The story of you American Girl Doll is very interesting and reminds me a lot of the Barbie movie, how the Barbies had so many careers and so much power while women in the real world did not have that power. One of the main characters, the mother of a little girl, was a secretary to men. When I read the part about your friend being grouped up with two guys, I didn’t understand it at first. Then I understood that the two of them were treating her with such disrespect that she could have walked out of the classroom without them noticing. I like how you started with personal stories before transitioning to the overall problem of unequal treatment in society; this made for an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sana! Your blog post which discussed the challenges faced by girls in STEM classes was very impactful. Your frustration and disbelief are completely understandable and relatable since I was extremely shocked to hear that there were only 4 girls in your friend’s AP Physics class. By describing your own personal experiences with STEM classes, the purpose of the blog was strengthened. It's sad to hear that you, along with other girls, have had to go through situations where your skills were questioned only due to your gender. The story about your friend being neglected by her group members during a physics lab highlights the major issues regarding gender biases. Your story resonates with me personally, as I've witnessed similar situations where talented and capable individuals were held back by bias. Although I am not a STEM person myself, I understand the struggles that can come with being a woman in STEM, which is why it is important for us to continue raising awareness about these issues. Overall, your blog was structured well, with personal stories which brought the issues you were discussing to life. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sana! I never would have expected the number of girls in AP Physics to be so little! By mentioning this, it clearly demonstrates the patriarchy in our society. The story of your American Dream Doll is very impactable and relatable as many young girls owned one and believed they too, can be just like them. The fact that many girls cannot unfortunately have the same careers is a sad realization to take in. Additionally, the American Dream Dolls remind me of Barbie dolls as they also have multiple different occupations. The story of your friend going unnoticed by the boys in her class is truly upsetting to hear but unfortunately the reality of many women in STEM. The fact how you added how she can go all the way to Starbucks and come back without them noticing her presence might not even be a hyperbole sadly. I like how you structured your blog, from going to your supriseness, to American Dream Dolls, to your personal story, and lastly your friend's personal story. Overall this blog was very impactful and insight. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sana! Your blog was overall an interesting read and it really grabbed my attention from the personal stories you connected to an overarching idea of the lack of representation and discrimination girls face. When you mentioned that your friend was one of the four girls taking AP Physics and the disrespect she faced in her lab group with the majority being boys, I was shocked to picture how overwhelming the environment may be in the classroom. The fact that most of the people in her table group would have neglected her presence seems to show how girls can be discriminated against for who they are. I was intrigued by the connection you made with the American Doll and how as a child, it made you confident to achieve your American dream but because of how only a few girls in society get a voice they want, it really affects the hope people had during the childhood faze. Overall, your blog flows nicely by providing an eye-catching scenario that connects back to issues encountered in reality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mahesh - Week 2: A Creative Outlook

Aarya Patil Week 8 : The Evolution of the American Language

Anushka Reddy Week 2: Exploring Model Minority Stereotype on Identity